Ithaca Music Club

The Ithaca Music Club (IMC) was formed in 1952 by a group of residents interested in performing for one another in an informal setting at members' homes on a monthly basis. The group was affiliated with the National and State Federation of Music Clubs to promote music in the community and the Nation. The National Federation was designated on the Official Registration of the United Nations in 1949, the only music organization thus accredited as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), and was chartered by the U.S. Congress on August 9, 1982.

The Ithaca Music Club's Mission states: "The purpose of this club shall be to promote music study, participation and performance among its members, to encourage young musicians, to foster music interest in the community, and to support students of the Tompkins County Music Teachers Association."

Over the years, the Club performed in both private and public venues, offering fine concerts at no cost. Its members also performed at retirement and nursing homes and welcomed guest performers at its monthly meetings. Through membership dues the Club provided scholarship assistance to music students attending summer music camps and invited the students to perform at its meetings. In the 1980's, the IMC conducted a study of music education in the Ithaca City School District, and, as a result, the Ithaca City School Board enhanced the music program to provide equal access to music study (K-12) throughout the District. Several of the members have served as State and National officers, including Dr. Barbara Irish, President of the National Federation of Music Clubs from 1995-1999. The IMC membership was comprised of musicians from the Cornell University, Ithaca College and Ithaca communities, sharing together the joy of music through listening and performing and was a wonderful asset to this community. The Club disbanded in July 2013, following 61 years of service.

Previous page: Legacy Organizations
Next page: Contact Info